Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Daredevil in high heels

To the lady walking across the street last night:

I was very happy to stop while you crossed the street even though it wasn't a designated crosswalk.  I also understood that you needed to take your time going across the street because it was dark and starting to rain.

I even understood that you were slowed down a little more by the 4 inch spike heeled boots you were wearing.  I probably would have had to stand on tip toe and bunny hop across the street in heels like that, so I'm impressed that you were even ambulatory.

What I fail to understand is that while you were leisurely crossing the street illegally, in the dark, while it was raining, in your super tall boots, you also felt the need to continue TEXT MESSAGING.  

Perhaps you can explain why that text message was so important that you were willing to risk getting smashed by a car to finish punching the keys.  Were you so distracted that you didn't even have a little hesitancy in your choice to pick your way across a street in your precarious footwear?  Maybe you didn't realize you were crossing the street.  Perhaps in your boots you couldn't sense that the sidewalk had changed to asphalt.  

I'm wondering who I would have to be texting that would be so urgent that I would put myself in that perilous situation.

Or why I needed to cross the street at that moment.  That mid-text and step I would say to myself, "Self, we just have to plow through," and then take a breath and step off the curb.

It isn't safe, kids.  It's just not safe.

No comments: