Sunday, August 22, 2010

The Honeymoon is Over

I can't believe I haven't posted in almost 3 weeks.  Feels like a lifetime when I think about how much Camille and her parents have changed.  She is truly an outstanding baby and we're just loving her!  I think things are going to change a bit this week and the bliss we've been experiencing may soon be shifting a bit.  Bill goes back to work tomorrow for one day (leadership training) and then next Monday he is back for good.  We have worked out this fabulous system that allows for both of us to get at least 3 hours of uninterrupted sleep each but there is no way it will work with Bill back at work.  He can't teach 150 middle schoolers on 3 hours of sleep so we have to adjust like most normal parents.

As we prepare to make this switch, Camille seems to sense that things are changing or something, because I'm sensing she is shifting as well.  Up until this point, Camille sleeps between feedings pretty exclusively, resulting in about 8 2-3 hour naps per day.  Camille also sleeps pretty well in her bassinet for 3-4 of these naps.  Now a delightful 7 week old baby, she is staying awake for longer stretches and has decided (just today) that the bassinet is not a lovely place to take her naps.  Uh oh.  Much more enjoyable place to sleep is on Daddy's chest or in Mommy's arms.  Uhhh oh.  Her adjusted age is 1 week and developmentally, kiddos aren't ready to be sleep trained until at least 4 months old.  Uhhhh ohhhh.  Stay tuned.

The positive side of this change in Camille is that she is awake more.  As if she could get any cuter, I do believe that baby got cuter!  Such a doll as she looks around with those enormous eyes!  She is starting to focus a little on things (faces, toys, lights) and it is so fun to watch her work it out in her mind.  I noticed her focusing on the TV this afternoon which freaked me out a bit so we'll have to start leaving the room when she wakes up and the TV is on.

She outgrew her first pair of pants this week and has 2 pairs of jammies that are on their last couple of wearings.  At lactation on Friday, Camille weighed 7 pounds, 11.5 ounces.  Officially 3 pounds heavier since birth!  We cut a bottle out of her schedule (she was eating 4 bottles a day) in the hope that she will nurse more to compensate.  We go back to lactation on Thursday and the answer will be in her weight gain.

I'm working on a post about why I hate the mall and hope to post it sometime this week.  That will be my goal.  Today my goal was to take a shower.  (I didn't get a chance yesterday.)  I accomplished that so we'll see about the post!

1 comment:

Kate said...

What does "her adjusted age is one week" mean, exactly? Because she's a premie, I assume, so is it: 7 weeks minus one week = 6 week old baby? Or, is her adjusted age for being a premie actually just a 1 week old baby?

I can't even decide what's logical!

Miss you, love you,
Kate