This is a break from the hair update, but I wanted to get this recipe down before I forget it. I read a lot of recipes and reviews and this is what I put together for the best pie I've ever made. Enjoy!
Caramel Apple Pie
3 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 cups shortening (NOT butter)
1 beaten egg
5 tablespoons ice water
1 tablespoon vinegar
1 teaspoon salt
To make crust:
1. Cut shortening into flour until well blended.
2. Add egg, water, vinegar and salt and lightly toss with a fork until it just comes together.
3. Lightly work dough into a ball and divide into 3 pieces.
4. Form balls into disks and freeze for at least 30 minutes.
5. You will need 2 disks for this pie. Not sure how long the third disk will last in the freezer.
7-8 apples, mixed variety, peeled and sliced thin. (I used Grannie Smith and Pink Lady.)
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
3 tablespoons flour
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup milk (I used 2%)
1/4 cup water
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
To make filling:
In a small saucepan, combine sugars, flour, butter, milk, water and salt and allow to melt together. Bring to a boil and stir often. Boil around 3 minutes. Turn off heat and stir occasionally while it cools and you prepare the apples.
Prepare apples. Pour in sauce over apples and stir to combine.
Roll out bottom crust and lay in pie plate. Fill with apples. Roll out top crust and lay over pie. Tuck edges under and flute. Cut several one inch vents in the top of pie. Foil the edges of the pie and put on a cookie sheet. Bake in 350 degree oven for 60-70 minutes and remove foil. Bake long enough to brown the top.
Let the pie cool at least an hour. If you cut into it sooner the liquid spills all over. It sets up really nice after about an hour.