Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Oh come on! Not even one pound?


Bill and I decided to get serious and change our lifestyle to be healthy.  While our goal included some weight loss, what we both really wanted was to make better choices for what we eat and make working out a part of our routine.  We set some reasonable weight loss goals to be achieved by June of this year.  Then we created "The Plan".  

The Plan is pretty simple.  No fad diets or extreme restrictions.  The Plan was to set a healthy calorie limit for ourselves, write down what we eat, and work out 3-4 times per week.  I bought us new journals to record our daily food intake.  I also discovered a website called FitDay where you can record calorie intake and exercise, which has a searchable data base of foods with all the nutritional information.  It is really cool.

So, off we went.  We started January 2nd.  There have of course been a few things happen that caused us to veer from The Plan, like Bill's birthday, but we are trying to make lasting changes. So when we went out, we ordered sensibly and limited the calorie busters, like wine and sweets.

I had a hard time the first week getting to the gym.  It was the first week back to school and I felt really tired.  But since then, I have been swimming and walking.  I can do more though.  My exercise definitely needs to increase.  But I have been religiously recording my calories and sticking very close to the 1,500 limit.  (And I'm honest!  I recorded 10 M&Ms!)

To date, Bill has lost 16 pounds.  I am SO proud of him. 

I have not lost one pound.  Not one.  The scale has dropped below my starting point, but it has also gone above my starting weight. Before we started this stupid thing I would go above and below my starting weight.

I feel like I should just go ahead and chuck it because all this work and scrutiny hasn't affected my weight any more than eating what I want and working out occasionally. 

Seriously, three and a half weeks and nothing?  Someone hand me a corkscrew.


1 comment:

Lori said...

How frustrating! I've totally been there. My advice is to avoid any and all comparisons to Bill. Men are weight loss MACHINES! We women just do things at a different pace but get to the same place eventually.

My sister told me that there is often a 2 week lag to diet/exercise changes (good or bad). Maybe your body is just catching up after the initial shock. Hang in there!!!

Oh, and I highly recommend the 30 Day Shred video for guaranteed results. Free on Exercise TV on Demand if you have Comcast. Or I'll loan you the dvd if you want.