Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Salty People Suck

After that last post it is obvious that I need to post something a little more cheery.  I am feeling much improved after my slump last week and although I am doing a little dance with Bill's cold, I am back to my usual happy self.  Sigh.  I missed me.

Anyway, on to more important things.  Like my live-it.  (Bill and I decided not to call it a diet, since we are eating to live!)  My current weight loss is about 8 pounds.  Yea!  I am very used to recording what I eat and have tried several absolutely delicious recipes from Cooking Light.  If you need a comfort food fix, try Chicken Tamale Casserole and if you have a hankering for Thai food, Broiled Tilapia with Thai Coconut Curry Sauce is amazing.  The sauce is excellent for chicken also or grilled tofu if you are vegetarian.  Or if you just like tofu.  

I am still struggling to work out on a regular basis.  I average twice a week plus walking Teddy. I would be much happier if I went to the gym 3-4 times a week.  I know this will improve when Bill is done coaching so we can take turns going to the gym and tending to Master Teddy.  

Although weight loss is difficult for everyone, I am going to make a very bold statement here when I say that it is easier for salty people.  Before you start throwing pretzels at me, allow me to explain.

I am a sweet person.  I don't mean I am friendly and like to cuddle puppies and coo at babies (although that is definitely true!)  What I mean is that I have a sweet tooth.  No, I don't have a sweet tooth.  I have a whole mouthful of sweet teeth.  Plus all my wisdom sweet teeth.  (Note: This means I really like sweets, not that I actually have my wisdom teeth.  All four were pulled many years ago.  I want to be truthful.)

I usually don't want hard candy.  I go for baked goods.  Not just baked goods.  But baked goods, drenched in ooey, gooey sauce.  Warmed up so that everything oozes together.  Mmmmmm. Ice cream is fine, but in a sundae ice cream is really just a medium to deliver copious amounts of hot fudge.  Truth be told, I'd gladly pass on the ice cream in a sundae.  Hot fudge is amazing but my true love is caramel.  The ingredients in caramel are butter, brown sugar and cream.  How could you not love that combination?  

So this is why I believe weight loss is easier for salty folks.  People who love salty snacks don't have nearly the amount of temptation that us sweet folk have.  Think about it.  There isn't a single holiday that is celebrated with salty snacks.  Can you imagine receiving a bag of potato chips from your Valentine?  What about leaving Santa a big plate of pretzels?  Or on Halloween getting Doritos in your trick or treat bag?  Come on!  That holiday even has "sweet" in the iconic phrase that makes it famous!  Trick or TREAT.  What about terms of endearment?  You don't call the love of your life your little Cheet-O.  Of course not!   It is "sweetie", "honey" or cutie-"pie". Would you replace your child's marshmallow Peeps in his Easter basket with cheese puffs and his chocolate Easter bunny with an order of fries?  On our birthdays we always blow out the candles on our CAKE.  It wouldn't be the same if we blew out candles on our birthday corn nuts. 

Sweet treats surround every holiday and celebration.  We have cake for anniversaries, winning the little league trophy and honoring someone's retirement.  We eat it at weddings even though most people I know always say, "I don't really like cake" while licking a smear of frosting off their fork.  We go out for dessert after watching a play and eat dessert when we meet for book club.  A meeting isn't a meeting if the boss doesn't bring in doughnuts!  

Lord how I wish I craved salty snacks instead of sweet treats.  I wish I drooled at the thought of a handful of corn chips instead of feeling attacked by the constant barrage of sweet goodness that taunts me during every social occasion.  How much easier weight loss would be!  I could walk through the staff room and not give another glance to the plate of homemade chocolate chip cookies someone brought in.  (Notice how no one ever brings in sardines to share?)  Or imagine being able to walk past the secretary's desk and not feel the need to pause for a tiny handful of M&Ms.  I would finally be free from the chains that bind me in the form of red and black licorice ropes!   

So salty people, while I don't believe your weight loss is easy by any means, I do envy your cravings.  How I wish they were mine!  Then maybe I wouldn't feel so tempted all the time.

1 comment:

Lori said...

I'm doubly screwed as I crave both. Sometimes together. I mean, c'mon, who doesn't love salty french fries and a chocolate milk shake? But I'll settle for an entire bag of Lesser Evil's black & white kettle corn. It's low fat and just what the dr ordered for the salt/sweet cravings.

I don't know about you but I believe that cake is merely a vessel to deliver frosting into my mouth. Mmmmm frosting.

And I was beginning to think baked chips were tolerable until Jeff brought home a bag of the real stuff and spoiled everything.

Dang it, now I'm hungry!