Wednesday, April 29, 2009

To blog, or not to blog? Who really cares?

About two weeks ago I wrote a post that I was really proud of but I decided I wasn't quite ready to publish.  It wasn't particularly thought-provoking and it certainly wasn't funny.  It was actually quite the bummer of a post.  I saved the post and decided to wait a couple of days to see if I still wanted to post it. 

A couple of days later I reread what I'd written and decided it wasn't that I wasn't ready to post it, it was that I was scared to post.  I wrote it while I was feeling very sad and I was afraid that through the post, I would reveal too much.  Would make people feel bad.  Would make people uncomfortable. I always worry about what other people think so again, I decided that I would wait a little longer to publish my post.  

And now, two weeks later, I am still conflicted.  I'm sure you are wondering, "What in the world could cause so much conflict?  Just post already!"  That is when I wonder if fellow bloggers ever feel as I do about posting what we actually feel.  Do people (and by people, in theory I mean the world) really want to know?

The conflict isn't about how I feel and if it is justified.  People experience all kinds of emotions and there certainly isn't a rule book that states what you are supposed to feel in any given situation.  I'm not worried that readers will question my feelings but rather they will finish reading and say, "Wow.  I really didn't need all THAT during my happy blog-reading time."  My concern is in the blogging rule book, which I have yet to see.  Do you protect your readers from yourself?  Is a blog for the blogger or the reader?  

If the blog is for the blogger, a true web log, then the answer is post away!  If the blog is for the reader, it becomes much more complicated.  Personally, I assume that the people who read my blog are mostly friends and family, who care about me, and would want to know how I'm feeling, even if it is lousy or sad.  At the same time, how impersonal is it to let your friends and family know you are feeling down in the dumps by posting it to the universe?  BUT, I often compose my thoughts much better when I write them down.  (Scary I know, considering some of my other posts!)

So which direction shall I go?  Do I stick with mostly light topics, rants and raves and anecdotes, or do I let a little (or a lot!) of the personal side in sometimes?  


3 comments:

Lori said...

Ahhh, the age old dilemma. As you know, I don't hesitate to write the debbie-downer stuff. I dunno, I case it's therapeutic even if no one responds. Personally, I enjoy reading the good, the bad and the ugly. Life isn't all roses and sunshine and neither is good writing. I say, let er rip.

Kate said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kate said...

(I wish you could edit your comments if you're a little quick on the draw! Anyway, here's round two):

I am very proud of my new title for my blog, and I think it may answer your question (at least from my perspective). I titled my blog: "(In progress)" And then I have a descriptive quote underneath it: "I had so much to say and no one to listen . . . -Jerry Maguire" It felt very profound when that line from Jerry Maguire popped into my head; it completely encapsulated my feelings. I never feel like anyone reads my blog, so when I post it just goes out into the universe. I have another quote that is applicable, but I can't quite remember how it goes, so I'll have to look it up and get back to you.
At any rate, my personal opinion is that blogs are for ourselves,so we should let it all hang out. And you can (should??) just be comforted by the fact that if anyone reads it, it's your friends and family who care about you and would want to know what's going on in your life, regardless of how they came to find out.
Mis dos centavos!!