Saturday, May 2, 2009

Grandma

This is my grandma.


My mom took this picture at Easter and Grandma was so annoyed because she didn't want her picture taken.  This is the closest we could get to a smile and she wouldn't look at the camera.

This is her real smile:


She has at least a million stories.  She loves animals and the color pink.  I think she looks especially wonderful in blue.  Here is another picture of her at my sister's wedding.  

See what I mean about the blue?  She drinks her coffee black but she loves her "special coffee" which is the International Delight hazelnut instant coffee.  She and my grandfather hand picked the wood paneling in their house that she now lives in with my parents.  They kept it up for her when they remodeled.

She grew up in Maryland.  She collects clocks, dolls, plates and spoons.  She clipped out every article about the new baby elephant at the zoo.  She used to make jello with fruit in it.  She knows I don't like jello with fruit in it so she would always make a separate dish of plain jello for me.

She reads the newspaper cover to cover and watches the news from 5 to 7pm, even though it just keeps repeating.  She can't stand George W. Bush and will tell you exactly why.  She loves to tell the story of my brother sitting in the tree in her backyard and so wrapped up in whatever he was thinking about he didn't know it was raining.  I've never seen her bed unmade.

She's gone to the same church for...ever.  She always had Tic Tacs in her purse and was delighted when a child at church called her the Tic Tac Lady.  She also always had Chiclets.  She has a special knack for growing African Violets.  

She is stubborn, has a heart of gold, and an amazing memory.  I'm very proud to be her granddaughter.

1 comment:

Kate said...

For some reason I remember the chiclets but not the tic tacs. Weird! My favorite, favorite, favorite picture is the one of her "real smile." I've never seen her bed unmade either.
I'll also always remember that when we're driving, she points out every horse to me: "There's a horse, Kate!"
My favorite is when she's telling you a story and your attention wanders, she'll exclaim "Hey!" to get you back and then just keep right on going.