Monday, May 18, 2009

Just when you think it can't get any worse...

...you get called into the principal's office.

It wasn't a good thing as a student and as a teacher, it still isn't a good thing.  Our principal-elect told me this morning that our school district is going to proceed with layoffs using the current budget predictions for next year.  While there may still be concessions made by the union (salary freeze, insurance freeze, etc.) which may change the number of teachers actually affected, lay off notices should go out by the end of the month.  If the district creates the budget based solely on reducing force to make up the shortfall, that means our staff of 27 teachers will be reduced to 20, and I will be one of them.  It is a possibility that I could move to the high school, but their staff is being reduced by almost 20 positions, so that is unsure as well.

Everything in this whole process has been unsure.  If this, then this.  But if that, then this.  It is very frustrating and people just need to know.  Teachers feel as if they are bearing the brunt of this crisis, so on top of fear and uncertainty, there is also suspicion and lack of faith in the administration.  Overall, it just feels yucky.

We're operating with the worst-case scenario in mind and praying that concessions will be made by our union and the district that will work in our favor.  Worst-case scenario has me subbing next year and changing our budget and lifestyle dramatically.  That last part is pretty funny since Bill and I are already pretty frugal people.  I know we can survive a very serious belt-tightening, and I know our parents lived quite well with much less than we have.  But it is absolutely frightening to consider we would be cutting our income in half.  

I really thought that this year was going to be easier.  I didn't imagine it could get harder than the last year and a half.  How naive.  

I think I need to get really good at gardening and preserving.  On a brighter note, we are going to have a bumper crop of plums this year.  Plum jam, plum pudding, plum tart.  What else can you make with plums?

3 comments:

Lori said...

I'm praying things work out for the best! We're kneedeep in layoff anxiety here as well so I can completely feel your pain. I'm just sitting here waiting for my turn in the principal's office without knowing what the conversation will be! Yucky is right.

Kate said...

I'm so, so sorry about all this. It's scary out there, and the feeling of helplessness is . . . yucky! No better way to say it; it's just yuck. The disheartening helplessness applies to me too! When you hear that someone is in trouble or facing a crisis, you can't help but want to DO something. ANYTHING! Take ACTION. But there just anything to do except say that even way out here in Ohio, I'm here for you!
I love you!
Kate

Short Round said...

I am here for you too! We just had another round of layoffs here where I work and it cut a little too close for comfort. I will be praying that there are concessions and that you have a job next year. It makes me so frustrated to see people that are great at what they do and love it get let go. I hope they can figure this out soon!