Friday, September 10, 2010

Nap Watch 2010

Since Camille is officially 4 weeks past her due date, and my maternity leave has officially started, I feel we should start making an attempt at some routine/normalcy with her sleep schedule.  I'm fully aware that she still carves her own path, writes her own book, paves her own way, blah blah blah, but my Type A that I didn't realize was so ridiculously strong is taking over, and we must have order, people!

Ha, ha.  I crack myself up.  My basic desires for Camille's sleep life at this point are twofold.  First, I want to have a consistent bedtime routine that starts at basically the same time each night.  I'm not willing to bathe her every day because she doesn't need it and I don't think it would help her with consistency at this point, but eventually I would like that to be part of the routine.  So I'd like to start between 6 and 8pm and include a bath (every other day or so), a book, nursing, songs, and then bed.  Camille will likely be awake for awhile after our routine, because that seems to be her fussy time right now, but I still want the routine in place.  The problem with this newfangled plan is that Bill and I worked out a system wherein I go to bed between 7 and 9pm and sleep till he goes to bed at 11.  Another problem is that Camille still sleeps in our room and if I'm in there, it defeats the purpose of me going to bed for a few hours.  Tricky, yet I would say all cards point to me not going to bed for those few hours.

Next in my desire to control that which cannot be controlled, is to monitor her daytime sleep.  I think this would make life easier when she starts becoming alert enough to have naps, rather than just sleeping all day.  I'm just writing down when she sleeps and when she wakes up to see if there are any patterns.

I consider this more of a fact finding mission at this point.  As if I needed more reasons to stare at my beautiful baby all day!

No comments: