Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Yawn, why am I up?

Considering how sleep deprived I am I think it really sucks that I am awake right now.  Baby and husband and dog are all fast asleep and I am wide awake.  I don't understand it!  It isn't just at night, either.  Sunday afternoon I took a picture of my whole family napping.  Everyone in this household but me seems to be able to fall asleep whenever they want.  I should be able to fall asleep as soon as I stop moving but instead I have the perfect opportunity to sleep and...here we are.

So I might as well give you all an update on Camille!  She is almost 12 weeks old (gasp!) which means 6 weeks past her due date.  Unreal, if you ask me!  The book I am reading on sleep says that the peak of fussiness is around 6 weeks and despite what I said above, I would say that is true.  Camille usually is awake in the evening but the last few days she just seems annoyed about it.  It is really hard to settle her after 8pm and it usually passes around midnight.  I think the only consistent thing about her sleeping is that she tends to fall asleep for the night around 12:30.

I think we could start trying to get Camille to sleep in her crib but I really don't want to.  I like having her in our room because if she makes a noise (or doesn't make a noise, let's face it, I'm paranoid) I can check on her fairly easy.  Several friends have said that it wasn't until they moved baby out of their room that he/she started sleeping through the night, but but but.  I'm reluctant.

Camille probably weighs about 10 1/2 pounds based on her growth rate.  She can stretch some of her feedings to 5 hours but there seems to be no rhyme or reason as to why sometimes she eats after 3 and others she goes to 5.  Most of the time it is 4 hours.  Her little legs have rolls and dimples on them and every time I change her diaper I just giggle with delight because it is the cutest thing!

Baby Girl is charming the pants off everyone she sees with smiles and coos.  This new behavior is so delightful and is becoming more frequent.  Today Grannie and Grampa came over to watch Camille while I went to the doctor.  Camille turned on the charm as soon as Grannie picked her up and my mom said to me later that even if she'd cried the whole rest of the time, after that first smile and coo she could pretty much have anything she wanted.  Yup, I think we're all in trouble!

She is also awake a little more and showing interest in what she sees.  She is especially fascinated by lights and often stares at the window or overhead light with amazement.  Sometimes the light even calms her down at a particularly fussy moment.  Odd.

I'm trying to put the books away and just go with the flow as a parent but I'm sure you can figure out how that is going.  I want to everything just perfect and as everyone else seems to understand, that just doesn't work with babies.  I'm sure my daughter will always be my greatest teacher, so I need to quit fighting it and just listen to her.  Old habits are hard to break, I guess!

No comments: