Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Routines

Camille will be 3 months old on Friday.  Every mom I know says that she can't believe how quickly the time goes by and I won't be the exception to the rule.  Camille has changed so much since we brought her home in July and to look at her now you wouldn't think she is the same baby.  I'm taking her in tomorrow for her echocardiogram, the first she has had since leaving the womb.  I hope that this will be able to tell us right away if Camille has Marfans or not, but I imagine it will be a longer process than that.  I think they have to monitor the changes in her echos over time and we may not have a diagnosis for many years.  What I am planning on teaching Camille early, starting tomorrow, is that going up to OHSU for echos means a treat afterwards.

After the echo we are going to lactation for another appointment.  I am 90% sure that Camille is perfect as usual - gaining weight like the little champion she is - but her eating habits have changed so much in the last couple of weeks that I really want to check to ease my mind.  She seems to finish nursing much faster than ever before (15-20 minutes) and some days nurses every 3 hours (like yesterday) and others ever 4-5 hours.  Mama likes consistency and routines, so this just makes me a little nervous.  Also, she was gaining 10 ounces a week (average is half an ounce to an ounce a day) and I can't believe this rate is going to continue much longer.  My calculations say that she should weigh over 12 pounds.  Gadzooks, that's a big baby!

One thing my sweet baby has learned about her mama is that Mama needs breakfast and coffee in the morning.  Camille has graciously obliged by taking a 20-30 minute nap after she nurses in the morning.  I don't know how long this will last and I never know what the rest of the day will look like, but she is pretty routine with allowing me time to make breakfast and drink one cup of coffee everyday before she wakes up and needs attention.  Sweet girl.

No comments: