Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Countdown to Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday. All the love and family and turkey goodness and none of the stress and hoopla. I'm so irritated with the madness associated with Christmas because every strand of lights hung in November, every Christmas carol played in a sushi restaurant a week before Thanksgiving (true story) takes away from what it really is all about. There really isn't that much consumerism with Thanksgiving.

This year we get to spend Thanksgiving with my family. We alternate years with my family and Bill's and my sister and hubs are on the same schedule with her in-laws. Lots to be thankful for this year so what better place than this blog to publicly declare all the reasons my heart is full this season!

1. Competent student teachers. Mine starts her work sample next Monday but is teaching a big chunk of the lesson tomorrow. Though I don't get to hang out in the staff room eating muffins and drinking coffee, I do feel like I get some down time. I'm observing and evaluating her, but it isn't the same as standing up in front of kids all day.

2. Decaffeinated coffee. To know me is to know that coffee and I are the dearest of friends. But I was easily drinking 3 cups every morning between my morning cup and my travel mug. Not very good for me so I've made the switch to decaf. Tastes just as delicious, which proves that it is the drink I love, not the caffeine, and I know I'm doing something better for myself. I didn't even have headaches!

3. Wizards. I'm listening to Harry Potter on CD and really enjoying myself. I watched the movies but the books are so detailed and it is delightful to get lost in such a wonderful story.

4. Amazon MP3 deals of the day. Bill and I have been downloading music from Amazon for next to nothing with their daily deals and other offers we've found on the web. Very fun!

5. Eggos. It was an impulse buy at the store the other day but I bought a package of Eggo frozen waffles. They remind me of my childhood when we usually had them in the freezer. I still eat them the same way: double toasted till they're dark, little bit of butter, just enough syrup to cover the top waffle. Then I turn it over so the syrup can drip onto the other waffle. My sister used to painstakingly fill each tiny waffle dent with a drop of syrup. Shocking I would have another quirky food story about my sis and I!

No comments: