Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Please, sir, can you quit giving me more?

I was late arriving to my hair appointment last night (of course I called!) so that meant I was late leaving my hair appointment. I couldn't be in Hillsboro (60 minutes from home) without stopping in to see my parents and my grandma. So, an already late night became a really late night as I rolled into the driveway at 9:15 still needing to eat dinner.

The highlight of the evening was when I was kissing my grandma goodbye and she said, "Leaving already? Bummer." This came sleepily from deep in her bed, so tiny, but with a gleam in her blue eyes. I wish I didn't live so far away and could visit more often.

I left feeling pretty defeated, despite the much needed hugs from all three of them, after hearing the continued challenges my grandma has and the fatigue in my parents' voices and on their faces. Just when I think they can't possibly handle any more on their plate, I stop by for a visit or answer the phone and realize that they already are handling more. Very brave, very tough, very impressive people.

No comments: