Friday, November 27, 2009

I don't remember growing older

(Be sure to sing the title to the tune of Sunrise, Sunset from Fiddler on the Roof.)

Well kids, here it is, 10 pm, and I haven't finished my blog post yet. We had friends over for tacos so it was a late night for us. (Bill rocked the crock pot again! The pork for the tacos was absolutely delicious!) It is my week to clean up and for some reason, standing doing the dishes just about did me in. My back is killing me and I'm ready for bed. I don't remember ever being much of a night owl but after about 9:30 I start shutting down. We're going to a concert tomorrow and I'm a little concerned about staying up that late.

Our friends were visiting from Texas and we were chatting about feeling old. I wonder where the line is between, "I'm young! I'm awesome!" and "Why WOULDN'T I put my pajamas on at 5:30pm? No sense changing clothes twice." Her babysitter (the one who watches her son, not that she has a baby sitter) is in her early twenties and listens to retro music stations that play 80's music. Oy.

My colleague just turned 40 and was telling me how great it is. She said that something happened overnight between 39 and 40 that made her look at the world differently. Her new answer to everything is, "Why not? I'm 40!" Positive outlook and attitude about everything, she says this decade is better than any of the rest of them. I think that is amazing. Why shouldn't you feel fabulous at 40? Better yet, why do we have to wait till 40 to feel that way?

My birthday is approaching and rather than feeling depressed that I'm another year older, what if I tried really hard to change my outlook? I should wake up and say, "Why not? I'm young! I'm awesome! I'm 34!" I don't know if I could do anything crazy, like take a pole dancing class, but maybe I could stay up later than 9:45.

I should start out small like that and then work my up to braver things. Let's try a few on for size.

  • Should I go to Albertsons instead of Safeway? "Why not? I'm young! I'm awesome! I'm 34!"
  • Should I order something other than the Oriental Chicken Salad at Applebees? "Why not? I'm young! I'm awesome! I'm 34!"
  • Should I wear shoes other than clogs or sneakers? "Why not? I'm young! I'm awesome! I'm 34!" (Note, I won't do this one because other shoes can really hurt my feet and I don't want to spend the next day hobbling around. I may be awesome but I still have good sense.)
  • Should I wear a patterned shirt instead of a solid? "Why not? I'm young! I'm awesome! I'm 34!"
  • Should we go out to dinner at a restaurant that doesn't offer a coupon AND eat after 7pm? "Why not? I'm young! I'm awesome! I'm 34!"
This gives me a lot to think about. A lot to strive for. I'm excited about the changes this new attitude is going to bring. Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go take some antacids because my tummy's a little upset. Maybe I'll have some warm milk before bed too. Maybe I'll do both! What the heck? Why not? I'm young! I'm awesome! I'm not 34! Yet.

No comments: