Friday, November 6, 2009

My Friday night at Grocery Outlet

My friend and I started out our Friday night by meeting for pedicures after work. I had a conference so it didn't really feel like work, but I was really happy for a little TLC on my tootsies. After the pedis we decided to grab some pizza and head over to her house for a true girls' night out. While waiting for the pizza, we went to Grocery Outlet. I know what you're thinking. "How could this Friday night get any more exciting?" Two ladies at Grocery Outlet? Cutting edge.

Well don't knock Friday night at Grocery Outlet till you've tried it. Do you know they do wine tasting? Not just wine tasting, but cheese and crackers and chocolate and wine tasting. What garden of Eden had we stumbled upon? We were intrigued by wine tasting and decided to investigate. Now, GO is is very legit outfit for sampling fine vintages. Our IDs were checked and we were given a tasting sheet. All was good until I noticed the sign hanging on the tasting table and on the various displays of wine. "3 Taste Limit per Wine" Three taste limit isn't unreasonable, if they mean 3 tastes period. But no, GO limits not the number of wines you taste but rather the number of times you can taste each individual wine. This wouldn't be so funny if there were 3 or 4 wines. But people, there were at least 12 wines available for tasting.

Don't stress out, I'll take care of the math for you. GO limits you to roughly 36 tastes of their fine wines. 36! Let's just say that the tastes are a half an ounce. If you drink 36-half ounce tastes, that is 18 ounces of wine. A 4 ounce glass is the standard serving size which means you could haul yourself over to GO on a Friday night and walk out having consumed four and a half glasses of wine!

Now, I don't think very many people would do that. My friend and I had one taste of 4 or 5 wines. But while I was deciding whether or not to try a rosé or a pinot gris, I heard a young lady of about 75 years young approach the table and ask for a second taste of a particular wine. She was really getting her money's worth!

After our tasting, we decided to buy a couple and went looking for a grocery cart. After all, why wouldn't you put the wine you want to purchase at Grocery Outlet in a grocery cart? I parked my cart next to the display of pickles and corn chips and we put our selections inside. Making several generic, inappropriate jokes about consuming all our purchases before the kids go to school on Monday, we purchased our wine and on our way out the door, I couldn't help but realize that anyone could dress in their favorite sweats, throw on some flip flops and head down to GO for some frozen pizza and wine tasting. Sure beats Happy Hour on a Friday night!




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful Friday night!!! Your friend sounds like she is sooooooo much fun!!! ;-) Can't beat the wine tasting at GO in Milwaukie!