Monday, November 30, 2009

Happy Birthday

Remember how excited we used to get for birthdays? Not just ours, but our siblings', our parents', our friends'. Birthdays for a child mean presents, sweets, games, time with friends and family we don't get to see all the time. Countdowns to birthdays were tradition with the reminder to everyone around us that there are just "16 days till my birthday!"

I don't think that excitement goes away, we just control it better as adults. This birthday is going to be an emotional one. It isn't sad, because today is going to be a wonderful celebration of my grandmother. Her service starts at 3 pm and I know her church will be filled with all who love her and want to remember.

The worst birthday I ever had was in high school. I think I was 14 or so and like every other birthday when I was growing up, I waited anxiously for the family part to start. Our tradition was always that the birthday person got to choose what we'd have for dinner that night. We got to eat off the red plate (the plate of honor in our house), then we'd have gifts and finally cake. Though everyone wished you well in the morning and was nice to you all day, our birthday didn't really start until dinner.

That year, I came home from school and started waiting. And waiting. And waiting. My mom was working for Head Start at the time and often came home late, but I was surprised she would be late that day. I think she finally got home around 8 pm. No presents had been wrapped. No special dinner. Instead we had KFC. I didn't complain, but most of you know I hate KFC. (I don't think my folks know that, but whatever.)

Anyway, as birthdays go around the world, I would hardly say that that qualifies as a "bad birthday" but I still feel the sting of missing out on our tradition that year.

This year, we went to watch the Paperboys with my sister and our good friends. We had dinner at Henry's Tavern, which was truly a bizarre experience because there was a boil order on the water because of an E-Coli outbreak in the local reservoir. No salads, no water, no drinks with ice, no soup. But great conversation with my favorite people in the world. We trooped off to the concert and as usual, the Paperboys did not disappoint. Got their new CD and my sister convinced me to have one of the band members sign it. Believe it or not, I'm very shy and needed a lot of encouragement to approach the band member.

And now, my darling hubs is making BLTs for breakfast. It smells fantastic! Nothing could be more delightful on a birthday than bacon. (Mmmmm, bacon. My greasy lover. Jim Gaffigan. Click that link. You won't be disappointed. It is my birthday gift to you.)

1 comment:

Northwest Potters said...

Yay! You did it!! I'm so proud of you for posting everyday. And I'm sad for those of us who are going to miss our daily dose of Mindy humor, wit, and reflection.

Thank you friend!!!