Thursday, November 26, 2009

Long Day

This morning I woke up at 5:45 out of habit and rather than going back to sleep I thought I would get up and get my appetizers going. Pigs-in-blankets with homemade sauce (tradition), homemade hummus with unhomemade pita bread and veggies, and guacamole. I was very proud that my appetizers were all appropriate for my brother-in-law, who can't tolerate dairy. I wasn't thrilled with the hummus - not smooth enough. I made enough for an army and Bill doesn't like it so . . . hummus, anyone?

It was a very long day. We didn't get home till 10:30, but it was delightful. My sister did most of the meal and what a feast it was! Mom got a much deserved break and spent a good chunk of the afternoon going through pictures for my grandma's memorial service. Bill got an uninterrupted nap while Teddy frolicked around the yard and house, getting pets and snacks everywhere he went. I even dropped a raw potato on the floor on accident and he snatched it up and happily gnawed on it in the other room. (I threw most of it away, but he had a good time.)

We played an energetic game of Quelf, to my mother, sister and my delight and the tolerance of the menfolk. The highlight was my sister and I singing sad songs while acting like weeping willow trees while my dad yelled out, "Serves you right, Captain Poopy Pants" whenever anyone had to go back spaces on the board. If you haven't played Quelf, come over sometime. It's a hoot.

Hope everyone enjoyed their days with family and friends!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your appetizers sounded delicious and your blogs makes me smile. I find myself reading it everyday now because: 1) You are such a good writer, and 2)The hangman game gives me a good 10 minutes of fun.
FYI: I heart hummus.
Hope you are enjoying the Thanksgiving break!